Computers & Technology
Download Free - Learn Wireshark: Confidently navigate the Wireshark interface and solve real-world networking problems - ebook in ePUB format
ISBN: 1789134501 | 2019-08-23 | 432 pages | 9.3 MbGrasp the basics of packet capture and analyze common protocols
- Troubleshoot basic to advanced network problems using packet analysis
- Analyze common protocols and identify latency issues with Wireshark
- Explore ways to examine captures to recognize unusual traffic and possible network attacks
Wireshark is a popular and powerful packet analysis tool that helps network administrators investigate latency issues and identify potential attacks.
Learn Wireshark provides a solid overview of basic protocol analysis and helps you to navigate the Wireshark interface, so you can confidently examine common protocols such as TCP, IP, and ICMP. The book starts by outlining the benefits of traffic analysis, takes you through the evolution of Wireshark, and then covers the phases of packet analysis. We'll review some of the command line tools and outline how to download and install Wireshark on either a PC or MAC. You'll gain a better understanding of what happens when you tap into the data stream, and learn how to personalize the Wireshark interface. This Wireshark book compares the display and capture filters and summarizes the OSI model and data encapsulation. You'll gain insights into the protocols that move data in the TCP/IP suite, and dissect the TCP handshake and teardown process. As you advance, you'll explore ways to troubleshoot network latency issues, and discover how to save and export files. Finally, you'll see how you can share captures with your colleagues using Cloudshark.
By the end of this book, you'll have a solid understanding of how to monitor and secure your network with the most updated version of Wireshark.
What you will learn
- Become familiar with the Wireshark interface
- Navigate commonly accessed menu options such as edit, view, and file
- Use display and capture filters to examine traffic
- Understand the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model
- Carry out deep packet analysis of the Internet suite: IP, TCP, UDP, ARP, and ICMP
- Explore ways to troubleshoot network latency issues
- Subset traffic, insert comments, save, export, and share packet captures
This book is for network administrators, security analysts, students, teachers, and anyone interested in learning about packet analysis using Wireshark. Basic knowledge of network fundamentals, devices, and protocols along with an understanding of different topologies will be beneficial.